Therefore He says: “When He ascended on high, He led captivity captive, and gave gifts to men” (Ephesians 4:8).
God has given each person at least one talent and in most cases more than one. I know what you are thinking, “God hasn’t given me any talents, I am just a big toe.” Many people feel that way, but it is not the truth.
In God’s Word, it says, “I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well” (Psalm 139:14), and “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them” (Ephesians 2:10). When you combine these two together, here is what you get.
“God fearfully and wonderfully made you to use the talents He gave you, to do good works which He prepared for you before time even began.”
So not only do you have talents but God has made a way for you to use them!
There is another misconception that needs to be cleared up: no action, no matter how small, that God gives you to do is worthless. It is sometimes the smallest actions that can have the biggest results.
I heard a testimony once from a person who was hours away from committing suicide. She had it all planned out and was on the subway, heading home to do it. This person felt that no one cared or even noticed her and that it wasn’t worth living anymore. Her heart was so heavy, but then a miracle occurred. Her head had been hung low, but as she lifted it up, she noticed someone genuinely smiling at her. The person nodded and mouthed the words, “Are you ok?”
Even though she hadn’t spoken out loud, this desperate girl had breathed a prayer to God in her heart, and God answered. That day, that suicidal girl went home, with a small ray of hope in her heart and it was enough to keep her alive. No gift, no talent is too small for God to use! Even a smile given with the Love of God can change a person’s life.
5 Steps To Using Your Talents To Serve Others
- Figure out what your talents are. There are many good books and workshops out there that will help you figure out what your best talents are.
- Look for opportunities to use your talents inside and outside of the church.
- Pray and seek God. He has plans for your life, and you need to find out what He wants you to do.
- Be obedient. No matter how small the request, do it!!! Many times, these are tests to see if you will do things God’s way. As you are doing them, more things will open up.
- Be thankful for the gifts you have. Don’t be jealous of other’s gifts and abilities. God has made you specifically to meet the needs of certain people, and only you can do that. Start out where you are at and let God take you where He wants you to go.
You are special in the eyes of God. He made you exactly the way He wanted you to be and equipped you to become the best you, you can be. Use your gifts for God’s Kingdom, and at the end, you will hear those wonderful words: “His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord’” (Matthew 25:21).
~ By Kim Thompson-Pinder
- What’s the Difference Between a Spiritual Gift and a Talent?
- How to Identify Your God-Given Talents
- 7 Talents You Could Contribute to Your Church